Thursday, April 9, 2009

Mash ups

To be honest, I must admit that most of the theory explaining how Mashups are created and work went completely over my head. I'm glad that it is left up to IT experts and not us. Despite my confusion concerning how they are created I didn't have any problem finding mashups that I enjoyed. I looked at several but thought that the postcode finder was really interesting. I entered in my own postcode and could immediately go to a link with all the census data concerning my area. For example the majority of people that live in my suburb are between 25 and 55, are mostly professionals and managers and the majority are women. Good to know. I can definitely see the benefits this site would offer when looking for a suitable place to live.

I also found a mashup that I thought was a really good idea. Its called Gigpig and its gets its data from LastFM, GoogleStaticMaps, GoogleMaps, GoogleChart and Discogs. Though after seraching for a few well known artists and bands I was very dissapointed. I couldn't find a lot of them and when I did the information concerning their upcoming gigs was wrong. Of course I could have gone ahead and added bands myself but Id rather be a user of a site like this rather than a contributer.

No comments:

Post a Comment